NewsStocksParamount Agrees to Postpone Warner Bros. Discovery Merger Until 2027 Amid State Antitrust Lawsuit

Paramount Agrees to Postpone Warner Bros. Discovery Merger Until 2027 Amid State Antitrust Lawsuit

Author: Fox Business Markets·

Key Takeaways

  • Paramount has agreed to postpone its $111 billion acquisition of Warner Bros. Discovery until at least June 2027 to allow an antitrust lawsuit to proceed through the courts.
  • A coalition of 12 state attorneys general led by California's Rob Bonta is challenging the merger on grounds it would reduce competition and raise consumer costs.
  • The lawsuit alleges the transaction violates Section 7 of the Clayton Act, which prohibits mergers that may substantially lessen competition or create monopolistic conditions.
  • If completed, the merger would combine two major Hollywood studios and their extensive television networks, including CBS and CNN, under a single corporate parent.
  • Both companies will continue operating independently for at least two more years while the antitrust case moves toward trial, prolonging uncertainty across the entertainment industry.
Paramount Agrees to Postpone Warner Bros. Discovery Merger Until 2027 Amid State Antitrust Lawsuit

Paramount has agreed to postpone its pending merger with Warner Bros. Discovery until at least June 2027, allowing a lawsuit brought by a coalition of state attorneys general to proceed through the courts, according to a Friday filing.

The merger was initially halted earlier in the week when Judge Araceli Martínez-Olguín of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California granted a temporary restraining order placing a 14-day pause on the multibillion-dollar transaction. Both sides had presented arguments the prior week before the judge issued her ruling on Monday.

Paramount characterized the delay as a positive development. A company spokesperson said in a statement to Fox News Digital: "Today's agreement is a significant win because the result is exactly what we have sought from the outset: a direct path to a trial based on the evidence. This is the fastest and clearest way to prove that this transaction is good for competition, good for consumers, and good for creators, a conclusion dozens of competition authorities around the world have already reached."

The spokesperson added: "Plaintiffs' market definitions bear no relationship to the realities of today's marketplace and cannot withstand scrutiny. We look forward to proving our case at trial."

California Attorney General Rob Bonta, who is leading the group of 12 state attorneys general challenging the deal, offered a different perspective. "Our argument against this illegal merger is straightforward: When too few corporations have too much power in markets central to American life, it makes things more expensive, and it makes things worse," Bonta told Fox News Digital.

"Today's agreement is great news for audiences, movie theaters, and the many people who write, build, and create the art, news, and entertainment so many of us enjoy," Bonta continued. "We are eager to continue to make our case in court and celebrate another tremendous win in our effort to ensure this unlawful merger never sees the light of day."

Paramount CEO David Ellison is seeking to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery in a $111 billion deal that had been expected to close during the third quarter of this year. The lawsuit claims the megadeal would "lead to higher prices, lower quality, and less content for film and television, harming movie theaters, basic cable distributors, and ultimately, audiences on every sofa and movie theater seat in the U.S."

The complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, alleges that the merger violates Section 7 of the Clayton Act, which prohibits mergers that may substantially lessen competition or tend to create a monopoly.

If completed, the transaction would merge two major Hollywood studios under one corporate umbrella, combining their extensive television networks, including CBS and CNN. The deal arrives amid a period of intensifying pressure on traditional media companies, which have faced subscriber declines in linear television, mounting streaming losses, and shrinking theatrical box office returns. Warner Bros. Discovery itself was formed in 2022 from the merger of WarnerMedia and Discovery, Inc., and combining it with Paramount would further concentrate ownership across film studios, cable networks, and streaming platforms. Critics of the deal argue it would damage the entertainment industry and trigger mass layoffs. Some have also targeted Ellison and his billionaire father, Larry Ellison, who is heavily financing the deal and is a close ally of President Donald Trump.

Liberal critics have additionally claimed that CNN would adopt a right-leaning editorial direction under the merged entity and be placed under the management of current CBS News editor-in-chief Bari Weiss. Paramount's CEO has previously assured that CNN would maintain editorial independence following the merger.

The Warner Bros. Discovery acquisition would follow Ellison's $8 billion purchase of Paramount, which merged the studio with Skydance Media. The extended timeline through 2027 means both companies will continue to operate independently for at least two more years, prolonging uncertainty for employees, investors, and industry partners while the antitrust case moves toward trial.

Fox News' Brian Flood contributed to this report.